The Master of Engineering in Cybersecurity program from the University of Maryland is offered in collaboration with many departments like the Department of Electrical and Computer Science Engineering, Maryland Cybersecurity Centre and Department of Computer Science.
The program of cybersecurity engineering degree combines other engineering applications along with computer science basic principles.
The master of Engineering in cybersecurity certificate will prepare the students with skills and knowledge to apply to their job in government and industry of the corporate world.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics project, there is a 28% growth in Cybersecurity employment. The pace of cybersecurity professionals is increasing day by day, whether it is in the research sector or the corporate sector.
Table of Contents
Why Masters in Cybersecurity Engineering from University of Maryland?
The program is offered at the University of Maryland at the Park Campus. The cybersecurity engineering program is a practical-oriented graduate program designed to assist engineers and technical professionals in developing careers.
It provides the expertise needed in the rapidly changing business, industrial environments, and government.
The University of Maryland ranks among the top twenty public universities and has the top-ranked department in computer science and electrical and computer engineering.
NSA has designated the institution as a National Centre of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Research, and it has been named an Intelligence Community Centre of Academic Excellence.
Cybersecurity programs us recognized because:
- Research: The University of Maryland is unique because of its comprehensive, interdisciplinary approach to Cybersecurity.
- In this program, we try to bring together the faculty who are experts in their core areas like computer science, social science, economics, human-computer interaction and many more areas of engineering with the students under the graduate programs.
- Education: the institute facilitates a wide variety of educational opportunities. The students majoring in computer science and engineering have numerous courses in Cybersecurity, and they are able to obtain a specialization in a particular area.
- The program offers the opportunity to develop their expertise in the area.
- Outreach: the corporate partner of our university enables the leading companies to collaborate with the faculty for benefiting the students in a better way. The corporate partners also recruit master’s students at the end of the program.
- The institute is actively engaged in the events such as the annual symposium and various lecture series to outreach their educational program in a better way.
What the students accomplish with the Engineering degree in Cybersecurity
The corporate world related to the cybersecurity market is increasing massively. In a few years, the whole world will need a huge number of cybersecurity professionals to combat the problems related to security and data breaching.
The cybersecurity engineering program that our university provides opens multiple tenured faculty positions in Cybersecurity. The students can find various employment in the field of:
- Adversarial Machine Learning
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency security
- Data-driven security
- Human-centred security
- Network and wireless security
- PL-oriented and software security
- Censorship and privacy
- Side-channel analysis
The cybersecurity master’s program has a total of 10 courses with 30-hour credits. In this, the students are required to study the four subjects for 12 hours of credit to achieve the Graduate certificate at the end. The program includes
- ENPM685: Security Tools for Information Security
- ENPM686: Information and Assurance
- ENPM691: Hacking programs and Unix Binaries
- ENPM693: Network Security
- ENPM694: Network and Protocols
- PM695: Secure Operating System
All the master’s degree program students are required to select their electives as per their interests and opportunities.
The electives are three credits, and students must complete the hour allotted by the university. Some of the electives are mentioned below.
- Applied Cryptography: the main goal of this course is to provide a fundamental understanding of cryptography practically.
- Embedded System Hacking and Security: the course will include some of the systems’ tools, techniques, and procedures.
- Security Tools for Information Security: students will learn about network-based security tasks.
- Digital Forensics and Incidence Response: students will learn the methodology and proper forensic handling of evidence.
Cybersecurity is one of the fastest-growing professions in the world. At some point in time. Many of us have experienced cybercrime or related activities. These activities have become a major concern of every country and its government.
To resolve these problems, the demand for cybersecurity professionals is high. If one is doing a master of engineering in Cybersecurity, he must not worry about the job opportunities to a high-paying one.
There are ample options available that require a master’s degree in the related field.
- Chief Information security Officer
- Computer information systems manager
- Cybercrime analyst/investigator
- Cybersecurity engineer
- Cybersecurity director
- Information analyst/responder
- IT auditor
These are only some fields mentioned here when one goes for finding a job, the numbers will increase massively. There are many government job options that will help one make a career in the public sector as well.