Cybersecurity is the protection of systems, data, and networks that are present in the cyber cloud. It is a preventive measure used to protect information from being stolen, compromised, or attacked.
It is one of the most complex issues that cut across multiple domains and needs multi-dimensional initiatives. It has proved to be a threat for all the nation’s governments as it involves a country having its data in the cloud about ministries and departments.
Nowadays, there are varied natures of threats that are difficult to frame an adequate response to.
The Internet has expanded in a very brief time due to the rapid development of Information Technology and commercial applications associated with it.
Advancement in information and communication technologies has changed the scientific, educational, and commercial infrastructure developed by governments and organizations.
George Washington University has designed a program in the Master of Science in Cybersecurity to meet the fast-growing need for technical cybersecurity professionals in the national and international market.
Why George Washington University (GWU)?
GWU is an institute that expects its students to acquire up-to-date skills in securing computer systems from cyber phishing and also making them learn about the policy implications of specific techniques.
There is a combination of courses that focuses on the design and analysis of algorithms, advanced software paradigms, and computer architecture.
They also have programs related to security and specific elective courses based on student’s areas of interest.
The program of GWU is designated as the National Centre of Academic Excellence for Information Assurance by the Department of Homeland Security and National Security Agency.
The recognition helps the student to qualify for internships, scholarships, and great job opportunities with the U.S. government in this field.
- The applicant can have a bachelor’s degree in any field but should have some programming experience.
- The applicant should have a minimum GPA score of 3.0 or B grade.
- Applicants must submit the online application form along with the non-refundable application fees.
- Transcripts including all attended university or college alo0ng with the online application form.
- The applicant must submit his GRE score, which should be above 50 percentile.
- A minimum of two recommendation letters should be submitted with the application.
- Applicants must upload a statement of purpose in 250-500 words clearly stating the purpose.
GW University is in collaboration with the Partnership in Securing Cyberspace through Education and Services (PISCES) program that offers domicile applicants a chance of full scholarship along with whole living expenses to study in the field of cybersecurity at the master’s level.
The total program credit hours are 30 credits
- For thesis option A, the student must complete 30 hours of credit for graduation; these credits include six hours of thesis credit.
- Non Thesis option A student is required to complete 30 hours for graduation.
- CSCI 6212 – Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- CSCI 6221 – Advanced Software Paradigms
- CSCI 6461 – Computer System Architecture
- EMSE 6540 – Management of Information and System Security
Along with these four above courses, the student is required to select his elective as per his area of interest.
The students who opt for the thesis option must obtain the written approval of their advisor. Courses for thesis research from the university are CSCI 6998 and CSCI 9999.
The program of cybersecurity in computer science is created to respond to the large and fast-growing need for professional cybersecurity people. Students in this program are prepared for managerial-level positions in leading cybersecurity organizations.
The program has courses like computer science, policymaking, management, compliance, and risk management. After the completion, students will be ready to protect private information in the age of cybercrimes.
The evolving nature of telecommunication possesses many challenges. As wireless connectivity is expanding from an individual network to a big organization’s web, the protection of these logical boundaries has become quite tricky.
So, the course in cybersecurity will prepare a more capable individual in society to protect privacy from attackers by developing new security software.
The field of cybersecurity offers an unmatched opportunity to work in an excellent environment and get handsomely paid for the work. The courses can better prepare the students and professionals in this field to enhance their knowledge and career.