Cyber Operations (CO), which covers the majority of the technology components of Information Operations, are activities done to impact an adversary’s information and information systems while safeguarding one’s own.
Professionals must be aware of the tools, strategies, and procedures necessary to defend, attack, and exploit these resources in order to support CO.
Cyber Operations is an interdisciplinary subject that covers a wide range of cyberspace and associated operations, both technical and non-technical (i.e., human-centered, ethical, legal, etc.
But the reader might ask how Cyber Operations are different from cybersecurity? Well, Cyber Operations focus on technologies and approaches that can be used at all operational and system levels.
Cyber Operations coursework combines theory, practice, and hands-on laboratories based on real-world problems. The emphasis is on system assault, infiltration, exploitation, defense, mitigation, and recovery skills and abilities.
If helping the country fight against cyber warfare and criminals excite anyone then the people over at Air Force Institute Of Technology have got you covered.
They can help you get a major in cyber operations with a six-quarter, 18-month, resident program at Air Force Institute Of Technology leading to a Master of Science degree with a major in Cyber Operations.
The people over at AFIT should be your prime option for getting a major for cyber operations because they will:
- Apply fundamental scientific ideas and strong engineering principles to improve Air Force and Department of Defense technology capabilities efficiently and effectively.
- They have an array of well-educated, highly-valued, and successful engineers and scientists.
- You will be able to significantly contribute to technical interdisciplinary team projects.
- After the completion of the course you will be able to professionally communicate technical solutions and results.
And to top it all of,
- They will help you continue to pursue lifelong multidisciplinary learning as professional engineers and scientists.
What is their goal?
Their aim is to produce graduates who can approach and evaluate difficult issues using tools and methodologies from both computer science and conventional engineering fields, and then design successful solutions.
What does Cyber operation encompass?
CO is a technical term that refers to a variety of scientific disciplines that maintain the security of vital infrastructures, including:
- Cyber operations, both offensive and defensive
- Engineering and operations for system security
- Software application security
- Security for mobile and wireless devices
- Reverse engineering
- Computer forensics
- Assessments and evaluations of threats and vulnerabilities, as well as much more
The people over at AFIT understand that succeeding in today’s competitive world, being through with just the technical aspect is not good enough. So they go a mile ahead and make sure that the graduate is work ready and through with these managerial aspects:
- Strategic and tactical planning for information security
- Engineering and managerial ethics
- Roles and duties of managers
- Management of risks
- Product acquisition and information assurance systems
Details of the course
This curriculum provides a solid technical basis in cyber operations, including topics such as
- operating systems,
- computer network protection, and exploitation.
- protection of the application
- security of mobile and wireless devices, and
- Reverse engineering and exploitation
The curriculum concludes with a personal thesis that is generally used to support Department of Defense requirements. The student utilizes their particular technical competence and displays design and analysis abilities in their thesis.
The core courses’ goal is to deliver graduate-level cyber operations education through a series of computer and information security-related courses.
These courses address a wide range of CO subjects, including computer networking, advanced and distributed operating systems, and data security, all of which incorporate concepts and best practices for safeguarding and attacking critical information resources.
This goal is completed by successfully completing the following courses:
- Introduction to Cyber Warfare and Security
- Secure Software Design and Development
- Cyber Defense and Exploitation
- Cyber Attack
- Mobile, Wireless, and SCADA Device Security
- Reverse Engineering
Everything related to admission
Applicants who satisfy the following basic entry criteria are completely qualified and can begin a master’s degree program immediately.
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally approved institution or university is required.
- On a scale of 4.00, achieve or surpass a grade point average of 3.00.
- Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), as relevant to the program desired, must be adequate.
We live in a fast-paced, dynamic world where we have to be on our toes at all times. The field of cyber operation/ security is starting to be the most important field in every aspect including international warfare and terrorism.
Being through is really important here. A postgraduate degree with a master’s could be the determining factor in someone’s career.
It’s clear that in today’s world you should try to get every little bit of information from anywhere, regardless. Or risk falling behind your peers or co-workers.